Tai Kwun10 Hollywood Road, Central, , , Hong Kong
大館中環荷李活道10號, , , 香港
Havana Divas (2019 Director’s Cut) Screening and Post-screening Talk
Cantonese Opera has over a century of ocean-crossing history, but until recently, its golden era in Cuba was little more than hear-say. But when Cuban-born Caridad Amaran dons the traditional opera costume to perform a bittersweet romance for documentary filmmaker Louisa Wei’s cameras, the legend turns into flesh and blood. On the silver screen, Amaran recalls her Chinese adoptive father Julian Fong’s devotion to her family, and how she in turn made him feel at home by learning and performing the Cantonese opera songs he held so dearly. At age fifteen, Amaran became the leading actress of Kwok Kwong Theatre Troupe, traveling to Chinatowns across Cuba and performing with famous stars from Hong Kong, San Francisco, and New York. Her glory days in opera ended with the arrival of Castro’s revolution. When Amaran returns to the art form with her stage sister Georgina Wong decades later, the once glamorous Havana Chinatown is now run-down and dilapidated. Now in their 80s, Wong and Amaran’s revival of their childhood art leads them on a journey to find their lost families in their fathers’ hometowns and take the stage once more. Director Louisa Wei used six years to complete the feature documentary Havana Divas (2018); with added footage from the crew’s revisit in early 2019, the recently completed director’s cut arrives just in time for its Hong Kong Arts Festival Premiere.
7:30 - 9:10pm Movie Screening
9:15 – 9:45pm Post-screening talk by Director Louisa Wei and Producer Law Kar
** These extraordinary Cuban stars of yesteryear will share with Hong Kong Arts Festival audiences their journey spreading the operatic arts in the Caribbean from 15-17 March at the Yau Ma Tei Theatre. For details, please check www.hk.artsfestival.org.
Director: Louisa Wei
Cantonese, Spanish, English (Chinese, English Subtitles)
Terms and Conditions
- Ticket verification will start 15 minutes before your registered session commences. Please present your QR code e-ticket to check in (a print-out or an electronic version). Otherwise your reserved seats will be released.
- A confirmed booking for PLUS events is non-transferable and non-refundable unless otherwise indicated.
- Members of the audience are required to present valid proof of identity identical to their ticket name upon admission.
- You are strongly advised to arrive punctually. The Hong Kong Arts Festival reserves the right to determine the time latecomers will be admitted. The Hong Kong Arts Festival also reserves the right to refuse admission to latecomers.
- There may be photography and filming at PLUS events. By attending, you consent to being photographed or filmed for use by The Hong Kong Arts Festival.
- Audience must comply with the rules and regulations of the venue.
- Should any dispute arise, the decision of The Hong Kong Arts Festival shall be final.
- The Hong Kong Arts Festival reserves the right to make changes to the programmes.
- By registering tickets for the programmes, you agree to our terms and conditions above.
For Typhoon and Rainstorm Procedures, please pay attention to the latest news released on the PLUS website: http://www.hk.artsfestivalplus.org/
Hong Kong Arts Festival Society Limited
You already have an order in progress. Would you like to cancel the previous order and start again, or would you prefer to return to the previous order instead?
It seems you already have an order in-progress. Please finish or cancel your existing order before starting a new order.
Cancelling previous order...