Tung Ping Chau
Artist Walk: Tang Kwong San and Yuen Nga Chi
Sorry this event is now sold out.
Next Poll Remaining
Sorry, your session has expired.
Would you like more time?
Sorry, your session has expired.
Local artists Tang Kwong San and Yuen Nga Chi’s collaborative project Landing on the East and the artist’s book + —imagined from the perspective of astronauts carrying out a landing mission in which the gravitational pull of the moon affects the tides—invites our discovery of an unknown Hong Kong. The artists captured Tung Ping Chau’s deserted borders and tourist-filled beaches on film and picked up discarded objects. Negative images were used to simulate space and the lunar surface, creating a record of the historical refugee wave that swept the island, as well as the impact of the current situation there. In this Artist Walk, the artists will guide participants onto the island, where they will share the story behind Landing on the East and facilitate a chat with islanders about the historical background of the island, the church, and the refugee wave. The word “alienation” has shaped the artists’ imagined landing, leaving distance between fact and artistic expression and giving the project room to develop. Photography can turn a blue sky into a dark universe and a distant buoy into the moon. For the countless travellers who made the voyage there as either a final destination or transit point, the island represented their hope. The crowds are gone, but the relationship between the moon and the tides remains. As participants explore the coast with the artists, they may encounter stranded fish and everyday items washed onto the beach from the opposite shore that help them to piece together the relationship of things.
The Artist Walk programme invites participants to see our city anew through artists’ and creatives’ eyes. On these rambles through the city exploring different places and routes, the artists will share their art practices, research methods, and creative concepts with participants.
Gathering point: Ma Liu Shui Ferry Pier at 8:30 am
Points to note
1. Participants must be 16 years of age or above.
2. Participants are required to walk outside in a natural environment for an extended period. This event is recommended for people with hiking experience.
3. On the day of the event, please arrive at Ma Liu Shui Ferry Pier on time at 8:30 am. The ferry will depart at 9:00 am sharp. We will arrive back at the pier at 6:30 pm. Please arrange your own transportation to and from the pier.
4. Participants should wear hiking shoes/trainers and casual sportswear. A hiking pole may be useful.
5. This is an outdoor activity. Please ensure that you have a hat, sunscreen, and mosquito repellent, and bring plenty of water.
6. There is no mobile network connection on the island.
7. Tai Kwun Contemporary will make arrangements for lunch in the village store on the island (meal included in the ticket price). If you have special dietary needs, please prepare your own meal.
8. The event is covered by third-party liability insurance. For details, please contact email@example.com
Arrangements in Case of Inclement Weather Conditions
- If an Amber Rainstorm Warning Signal or above, Typhoon Signal No. 3 or above, or Thunderstorm Warning is issued before 8:00 am, the event will be cancelled and rescheduled. No refunds will be given.
- In the event of bad weather conditions, such as heavy rain or strong wind, the event may also be cancelled even if no weather warning signal has been issued. The event host will contact the participants as early as possible should this situation occur.
- If a Rainstorm Warning Signal or Typhoon Signal is issued during the event, some activities may be cancelled due to safety concerns.
#artistwalk #taikwuncontemporary #art
You already have an order in progress. Would you like to cancel the previous order and start again, or would you prefer to return to the previous order instead?
It seems you already have an order in-progress. Please finish or cancel your existing order before starting a new order.
Cancelling previous order...